Sunday, January 17, 2010

Perk - o - WHAT - olator??

Coffee Woes ...

It's customary in Spain to have coffee at least three times a day ... once for breakfast with a small pastry, again around noon with a small pastry (we even get a 1/2 hour school break for this) and then again later in the afternoon after a large meal.

The coffee servings here are very small and very strong y no me gusta!(see first picture I took at the cafe we go to on our 1/2 hour school breaks) ..... So, I've been ordering cappuccinos. butttt, capuccinos a few times a day can get expensive and in an effort to be thrify I thought I could start making my own coffee, especially because
my sister bought me a cool travel coffee mug! The only problem is, I have no idea how to use the coffee pot that came with my apartment.

my mother has a larger percolator that we use for parties. this looks nothing like it, not even on a smaller scale. this one does not plug into the wall, and has odd contraptions. if anyone knows how to use it, please send me an email!

... i guess this is just one more Spanish thing i'm going to need to adjust to!

this is the full coffee pot.... it comes apart into two pieces, a bottom and a top


this is the bottom piece. A little basket lifts out of it. I assume coffee sits in the basket and water sits underneath in the base of the bottom piece.

this is the top piece it sits ontop of the piece shown above. but it has no holes on the bottom of it so how can the coffee filter up thru it?

however it does have holes on it's underneath ... but where do they go to? they don't go into the inside because as i said in the picture above, there are no holes inside the pot!

even if i do figure out how to make it work, how much time will it take for the coffee to percolate and heat up? how hot do i put the stove? is this going to take 5 minutes or a half hour? do i have to buy a specific kind of coffee?

I WANT DUNKIN DONUTS!!! which, in spain, is called.......

but is only found in major cities like Madrid and is clearly only for tourists.

UPDATE:
i walked to the grocery store to buy coffee grinds today to at least attempt to figure out how to work this stupid coffee pot, but sad news... grocery stores are closed on sundays here :(
takeout for dinner it was, and breakfast ... well i guess I'll be stopping at a coffee shop....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Deanna,

    It looks like you have a stovetop expresso maker. Here's a link that might help:
    http://www.espressoplanet.com/merchandise/Stove-Top-Instructions.htm

    Litb,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should start a trend and drink tea instead! I bet the bottom part of that contraption could double as a teapot!

    Hope you are well. Glad you are not in Haiti!

    ReplyDelete