Monday, March 22, 2010

Sevilla




A few weekends ago I visited Sevilla, my most favorite city thus far in Spain. Located about 6 hours south of here my friends and I took the high velocity train, stopped for the afternoon in the city of Cordoba, and then continued to Sevilla. (more on cordoba in the next blog post).

Sevilla, or Seville, in English in a warmer climate than madrid and the streets are lined with palm and orange trees ... talk about heaven for me! although it downpoured the entire time we were there we still went on some walking tours and saw the sights. I even conquered my fear of heights and climbed up to the top bell tower of the largest cathedral in Europe to check out the view. The church was really fascinating on the inside as well -- Christopher Columbus is buried there.

After the church we went to Alcazar, a palace in Sevilla with history dating back to the Moors who lived in Spain before the Spanish inquisition when the catholics drove them out. To me, the palace was kind of boring but the immense gardens that stretched for miles were unbelievable. They even had a winding labyrinth of 6 foot bushes ... it was pretty fun to get lost in those.

After that we stopped at a bar where at 3pm they serve up free Paella ... a traditional spanish dish to all of the guests. The paella takes 4 hours to cook in a large pan ... which they cooked outside as to lure in guests -- worked for us!

while the people in Sevilla were very nice their accent was SOOOO hard to understand. They do not pronounce the S's that appear on ends of words .. much like Bostonian's drop R's at the ends of their words. but when I barely understand spanish as is, when you switch up the language and skip letters in words ... you totally lose me!

i've decided to upload my photos to a new website so you can see whole albums and not just a few select photos. to see photos from sevilla (bare with the 40 random photos I took of Oranges) copy and paste this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48700314@N08/sets/

i'm still trying to work out the kinks so please email me de.leblanc17@gmail.com if it doesn't load properly.

in this album .. of over 170 photos you'll find about 40 of oranges. 3 of a random couple i stalked because I thought they were adorable, about 20 of the view from the tall tower, and other random things I find adorable.

hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment